Thursday, March 25, 2010

Salsa Verde Sour Cream Enchiladas

Mmmm, enchiladas. When I typically think of enchiladas, I think of ooey gooey cheesy goodness. This is probably why I have not had them in a while. The copious amount of cheese in a traditional enchilada just doesn’t really fit in my eating plan. Not to mention it would probably make my stomach hurt for a full day after.

My enchilada outlook changed with I saw this recipe. I took a look at the ingredients and saw a huge opportunity for some lightened up enchiladas. I used fat free sour cream, whole grain tortillas, and omitted the cheese on my portion. I found the sauce to be creamy enough to not need the cheese. At my husband’s request, I added a little bit of reduced fat cheese to his portion.

I also halved the sauce recipe from the original and make 6 enchiladas versus 12. I couldn’t find Serrano peppers so I used additional jalapeño and a bit of a poblano pepper. We topped the enchiladas with lettuce, black olives and sour cream accompanied with some homemade baked tortilla chips and my new favorite homemade salsa. Delicious!

Adapted from The Novice Chef

Ingredients
3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (mine were approx 1.25 lbs)
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/6 poblano pepper, seeded, minced
2 jalapeños, seeded, minced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup fat free sour cream
8 oz salsa verde **
3/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
6 eight grain tortillas, small fajita size
1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack (optional)
1/4 medium onion, diced (optional)
**The original recipe calls for Ortega Medium Salsa Verde, however I had a cup of leftover salsa verde I made for this recipe that I used instead.

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. In medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté jalapeños until soft and then add the garlic, cooking for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and let cook 1-2 minutes.

3. Whisk in the chicken broth until smooth and let cook until bubbly.

4. Stir in the sour cream, tomatillo sauce, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cilantro until the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat.

5. Spray/grease an 8x8 baking dish. Add 1/2 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan.

6. Add chicken, cheese (if desired), and chopped onion (If desired) to the center of each tortilla. Add 2 tablespoons sauce and roll, placing seam-side down in the
dish.

7. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, top with leftover cheese (if desired), and bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until top is brown and bubbling.

The Facts
6 Servings
**Without cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment