Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mango Shrimp Kebabs

I try to include shrimp on the menu once a week. I like that they are super fast to cook and are a good low calorie protein source alternative to chicken. At the grocery store last week, I randomly picked up a few mangos. As soon as I saw this recipe in my latest edition of Cooking Light, I knew it would be a perfect fit for ingredients I already had on hand.

Have you ever cut a mango? It’s a lot more difficult than I thought. It has a large, thin pit in the middle that makes the process difficult. I found this step-by-step tutorial quite helpful.

You might notice my sweet skewers. I like them because they are flexible and hold a ton more than traditional skewers. They make marinating and grilling much easier.

I altered the original recipe by marinating the shrimp in teriyaki sauce. I liked the flavor this added. Next time I plan to marinate the veggies in the sauce as well, and possibly baste the skewers during grilling.

Adapted from Cooking Light April 2010

Ingredients
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Teriyaki marinade
1-2 large bell peppers (I used green)
1 mango, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lime, cut into wedges

Directions
1. Remove tails from shrimp if desired and place in marinade for at least 30 minutes.

2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.

3. Thread shrimp, bell pepper pieces, mango cubes and onion pieces alternately onto skewers.

4. Place skewers on a frill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done.

5. Squeeze juice from lime wedges over kebabs. Add additional teriyaki if desired.

The Facts
4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment