Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

To quote my husband “It’s not like anything I’ve ever had before.” Yes, this is quite different; however that’s not a bad thing. Bryan enjoyed the meal (despite the fact it took twice as long to cook as I planned). I’ve never particularly liked meat loaf so although I wasn’t the biggest fan of this dish, I did like the taste of it.

With my awesome food processor, this dish came together quite quickly. I finely chopped all the veggies, then used 4 chicken breasts (~1.25 lbs) and thoroughly processed them into ground chicken. I substituted gorgonzola cheese crumbles for blue cheese crumbles.

As far as cooking time, you’re honestly going to have to keep an eye on it and check the temperature. The original recipe called for a 9” x 5” x 3” loaf pan. Mine was 8.5” x 4.5” x 3”. The slightly smaller loaf pan combine with an extra 1/4 lb of chicken and sweet potatoes sharing the oven resulted in a drastically longer cook time. I honestly have no idea how long I the dish was in the over because I kept consistently adding five minutes to the timer. Learn from my mistake!

Adapted from Lobster and Fishsticks

Ingredients
Olive oil spray
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup buffalo wing sauce
1 -1.25 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat gorgonzola cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly mist a 9” x 5” x 3” nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray.

2. Combine oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened.

3. Stir in wing sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites, and salt. With fork, mix ingredients well. Add gorgonzola cheese and gently mix.

4. Transfer mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. ***(Depending on how much chicken you use as well as your pan size, cooking time coucld vary greatly. Ensure meat reaches proper temperature before serving.)

5. Cut into 8 slices. *2 slices per serving.*

The Facts
4 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment