Monday, March 15, 2010

Corn Tortilla Chips

Bryan and I decided to have a homemade taco night last week. We thought it would be fun to bake our own chips as well. I originally planned to use flour tortillas, however after browsing recipes I decided to try corn tortillas so I could attempt some hard taco shells as well. I was very pleased with the results and was able to accomplish the crunchiness a true chip deserves. I simply seasoned mine with salt, but I bet some light cumin or chili powder would be delicious as well. To make the taco shell, I ‘threaded’ a tortilla on one of the wire racks with the ends pointing down. The tortilla naturally folded downward as it cooked, giving us a nice crispy U shaped shell. Just be careful not to burn yourself during the threading process! I read a ton of recipes for chips and just kind of went from memory when I actually made them.

Ingredients
White corn tortillas, cut into quarters
Salt
Seasoning, if desired
Cooking spray

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray and spread cut tortillas in a single layer.

3. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and seasoning (if desired) to taste.

4. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove chips from oven when JUST beginning to brown.

5. Allow chips to cool and crisp up for an additional 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment