Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Garlic Lemon Shrimp with Orzo and Broccoli

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for forever in my Google reader, but never had the orzo to make it. I finally had some leftover from parmesan orzo so I knew it was time to cook this dish. It came together pretty quickly and made for an easy week night meal. I altered the original recipe slightly. I reduced the cheese from 1/3 to 1/4 cup, however next time I will probably stick with the 1/3 cup. We could taste the cheese, but it could have definitely used just a little bit more! Also, my husband suggested adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne for a little more flavor. Overall, I enjoyed this dish. I like the creaminess that orzo pasta creates. I saw a whole wheat version at Publix that I am interested in trying as well, however it’s a bit more expensive.
Adapted from Kelly Cooks

Ingredients
1 cup orzo
1 broccoli crown, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper, to taste
1.5 tsp butter
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2-3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 oz. parmesan cheese, grated

Directions
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add the orzo and cook until al dente (about 8-10 minutes).

2. During the last 2-3 minutes of cooking, add broccoli to the pasta water. Drain orzo and broccoli and set aside.

3. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat, and add onions. Cook until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.

4. Add lemon juice, zest, and wine/broth to sauté pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmering for 2-3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Stir in the butter, and continue stirring until melted.

6. Add the shrimp to the sauté pan, and cook until pink and cooked through.

7. Add the orzo and broccoli, parsley, and cheese to the shrimp and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.

The Facts
4 Servings
Calories 358.3
Total Fat 4.5 g
Fiber 4.5 g
WW Points 7

No comments:

Post a Comment