Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken Chili Verde

Although this was quite good, it definitely was not a QUICK meal to prepare. The cooking time alone is one hour, plus prep time. But I knew this going in, so it wasn’t a big deal. It took me a little longer to prep the vegetables than I thought. I am a little over organized and like to have ALL my ingredients ready to go before I even turn on the stove. I hate to be rushed during the cooking process.

Back to the chicken chili verde. I seeded the jalapenos, so the dish was VERY mild. I enjoyed the flavor a lot, however I think some spice would have really added to the sauce. Next time I’ll leave the seeds in one of the jalapenos and see how much heat that adds. After boxing up leftovers, I had about a cup and a half of chili verde sauce leftover. I froze it and hope it’s good for some chicken tacos in the future.

Adapted from Proceed With Caution

Ingredients
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 jalapenos, stems removed (and seeded if necessary to reduce the heat)
10 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed (approx 1 pound)
1/2 of a large white onion, quartered
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp vegetable oil
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes

Directions 1. Place garlic, jalapenos, tomatillos, and onion in a large stock pot with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes.

2. Add contents of the pot to a blender along with an additional 1/2 cup water and cilantro. Puree until smooth, being careful to allow steam to escape while blending.

3. When tomatillo mixture reaches a boil, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken until no longer pink, then drain skillet.

4. Add pureed tomatillo mixture to skillet, then add salt, to taste.

5. With the lid cracked, simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Serve, garnished with a lime wedge if desired.

The Facts
4 Servings
Calories 220.0
Total Fat 4.1 g
Fiber 3.2 g
WW Points 4

No comments:

Post a Comment