Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sautéed Mustard Greens

I’ve been reading a TON of other food blogs lately, and I came across one that talked about getting fresh vegetables weekly from a local CSA. Curious, I clicked the link and started researching. Through the site, I found Shaolin Gardens here in Orlando. They are just starting up and this is their first crop sharing season. I talked to my husband about it and we decided to go for it. Chaz from Shaolin Gardens held a work day this past Saturday, so Bryan and I went out there to check out the set up and help out some. We filled bags with soil alternative in preparation for planting for a few hours. It was cool to know that we were actually contributing to the fresh vegetables we’ll be enjoying the next few months.

While we were there, Chaz showed us some leftover mustard greens they had planted last season. They went through the Florida freeze in December so their taste was uncertain. I searched for some recipes online to sauté our fresh greens and pieced together a few recipes in my head and went to the kitchen. You’ll notice I didn’t put measurements by any of the ingredients because added based solely on taste. They turned out quite delicious and I can’t wait for more fresh local produce.


An Erin's Eatery Original

Ingredients
Olive oil
Onions, chopped
Garlic
Mustard Greens
Lemon Juice
Chicken Broth
Salt
Pepper

Directions
1. Add olive oil to a pan on medium heat.

2. Add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent.

3. Add greens, lemon juice and chicken broth to pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until greens are tender.

4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment