Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Turkey Sausage with Pasta and Broccoli

This was a quick dinner that I threw together last minute. I had a coupon for some Butterball turkey sausage so I bought a pack at my last grocery store visit. My husband and I used to eat sausage ALL the time, however since adapting to the WW lifestyle, we’ve had very little as there is just so much calories and fat that it’s not worth it to eat on a regular basis. I thought I’d give this a try as an alternative. The turkey sausage was good, however it tasted more like kielbasa than sausage, but that’s ok!

I didn’t follow a recipe on this and pretty much made it up as I went. It tasted pretty good, especially since it didn’t require too much effort on my part.

An Erin’s Eatery Original

Ingredients
7 oz. turkey sausage
4 oz. whole wheat pasta
6 oz. sliced baby Bella mushrooms
1 head of broccoli, tops only
1 tbl butter
1 tsp olive oil
Spices to your liking – I used salt, pepper, seasoned salt, Italian season and cayenne

Directions
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

2. While pasta is cooking, add 2/3 cup water to medium sized skillet on medium heat. Add sausage and heat approximately 10 minutes or until sausage is heated through.

3. In a small skillet, add olive oil and set burner to medium high. Once oil is heated, add sliced mushrooms. Sauté until cooked through.

4. In a microwave safe bowl add broccoli and approximately 1/4 cup water. Microwave on high for 3 to 3.5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Drain.

5. Add butter and cooked mushrooms to drained pasta. Stir well. Add spices to taste.

6. Remove sausage from skillet and cut into 1/4 inch slices.

7. Serve pasta with sliced sausage and steamed broccoli on top. Enjoy!

The Facts
2 Servings
Calories 463.8
Total Fat 17.1 g
Fiber 8.6 g
WW Points 10

No comments:

Post a Comment