Monday, January 11, 2010

Pho Ga – Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

This was the main course for our Vietnamese inspired dinner. The final dish was ok, but not exactly as I expected. This is definitely a dish I plan on making again, but will be applying a few lessons I learned in the process. Check out the link below for the recipe. Once I perfect it to our liking, I’ll be sure to blog my changes.

The main problem with my version was there was not a lot of broth. The dish turned into more of noodle dish versus a soup dish. I think the noodles I chose and how I cooked them are to blame for this. They were bigger than what we've had before in traditional Pho at the local restaurahts. I’ve already bought some thinner ones that I’m looking forward to trying. I also read somewhere that you could just put the dried noodles straight into the broth. BAD IDEA. Don’t do it! The noodles absorbed almost all of the delicious broth. I will definitely cook the noodles SEPARATELY in the future. The flavor of the broth was amazing before I added the noodles so I don’t think I need to alter anything there; however I plan on doubling the amount I make next time.

Overall, I think it was a good first attempt, but there’s A LOT of room for improvement. I’ll keep you posted when I attempt Pho Ga, Take 2!

Adapted from Jaden’s Steamy Kitchen

I served ours with scallions, fresh Thai basil, fresh mint, bean sprouts, jalapenos, sriracha sauce and hoisin sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment