Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Saffron Quinoa

I had heard quinoa mentioned at one of our WW meetings as a great natural grain to try. And then I saw it at Costco. Do I wait and but a small bag at the grocery store to see if I like it? Nope! I buy it in bulk, because that’s what Costco does to me. The first time I made it, I simply cooked it chicken broth, no seasoning, nothing special. I was not a big fan. Needless to say it’s been sitting in my pantry untouched for the past few months. I decided it was time to try it out again so I searched my google reader and came across this recipe. I put it on the menu, and that made it official. I WAS making quinoa this week whether I wanted to or not. So, I added the saffron to my grocery list and went on my happy way. Ha, well little did I know that saffron was so expensive! It was $5 for MAYBE 2 teaspoons worth of it. Sheesh. This better be good.

I don't know what it is about quinoa, but I can NOT get used to the texture/flavor. The first bite is always good, but then it's down hill from there. This dish was not any better for me. My husband, however liked it (with butter and extra salt). We brainstormed ideas to give it more flavor for next, so maybe I'll try it a third time.

Adapted from Culinary Bliss

Ingredients
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 tsp saffron

Directions
1. Combine all ingredients in a pot with a heavy lid. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, cover and let it sit for 15-20 minutes or until the grain has absorbed all the liquid.

The Facts
4 Servings
Calories 160.5
Total Fat 2.5g
Fiber 3.0 g
WW Points 3

No comments:

Post a Comment