Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tangy Mustard Coleslaw

This was absolutely delicious and SO FRESH! Bryan’s dad and step-mom have a garden in their back yard over flowing with heads of cabbage, carrots, corn, etc. Sunday night we picked a head of cabbage and homemade coleslaw seemed like the perfect use for it.

I wanted something light and not laden with creamy mayonnaise so I turned to CookLight.com. This was a simple recipe where I already had all the ingredients in the fridge. I was excited because I got to use the shredding disk on my sweet food processor for the first time. It turned a few whole carrots in to tiny bits in a matter of seconds! I omitted the onion (I’m SO not a fan of raw onions!) and subbed Greek Yogurt for the small amount of mayo the original recipe called for. This is a great light side dish for a summer BBQ or pot luck.

Adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients
1 head green cabbage, finely shredded (~400 grams)
1 cup grated carrot (~225 grams)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp Splenda
2 tbsp whole-grain mustard
2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper

Directions
1. Combine cabbage and carrot in a large bowl.

2. Combine vinegar, Splenda, mustard, yogurt, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl; stir well.

3. Add the mustard mixture to cabbage mixture, and toss well to coat. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes, over night is even better. Stir before serving.

The Facts
4 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment