Friday, June 4, 2010

Crunchy Peanut & Panko Shrimp

I’ve had this recipe bookmarked for a few months now. When I originally saw it pop up on Google Reader, it was the first time I’d heard about PB2 and I was intrigued. A low calorie peanut butter? Yes please! I immediately ordered some, however when I checked my order status a few weeks later, it was BACKORDERED! I finally received it 3 months after ordering it and immediately put this recipe on the menu.

In the end, I have to say I was slightly disappointed (with the shrimp, not the PB2!). I don’t feel like it had the peanut taste I was looking for. Perhaps some additional PB2 should be mixed in the panko mixture? The shrimp were good, just lacked the peanut flavor. I served this with a dipping sauce hoisin mixed with some chili garlic paste.

Adapted from Cara’s Cravings

Ingredients
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
1/4 cup egg substitute
4 tbsp (24gm) PB2
1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
dash of chili powder

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Add the shrimp to a large zipper bag along with the PB2. Close the bag and shake to coat the shrimp thoroughly.

2. Place the egg substitute in a bowl. In a mini food processor or blender, pulse together the panko and chili powder to combine evenly and create a finer crumb; pour the mixture onto a plate.

3. Place a cooling rack atop a baking sheet, and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Dip each shrimp into the egg substitute, and then the panko mixture. Set on top of the rack.

4. Bake for about 12 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through and coating is lightly browned.

The Facts
4 Servings

No comments:

Post a Comment